Privately-Owned Rail Cars
An Extraordinary Way to See North America
Amtrak provides the ability for rail/train car owners to have their privately-owned rail/train cars attached to our trains between specified locations to see North America in an extraordinary way. We also provide many services, including 480v standby power, water, ice, septic, car wash, parking, and switching.
The charges to the owner of the private car include an annual registration fee, concurrent with the annual PC-1 inspection, as well as a mileage rate based on the number of cars on that particular movement request and other charges based on the services requested. View our Private Car Tariff terms and conditions, and other information about private car movements.
Important Rate Information for All Private Car Owners
- Rate increases effective May 1, 2018 pursuant to Private Car Rate Addendum No. 6 to Conditions for Movement Privately Owned Railroad Cars on Amtrak Effective June 1, 2007
- Rate increases effective October 1, 2017 pursuant to Private Car Rate Addendum No. 5
- Rate increases effective October 1, 2016 pursuant to Private Car Rate Addendum No. 4
- Additional Locomotive Guidelines: Private Car Locomotive Guide
Scheduling a Move
For more information about scheduling a move, please call:
- 1-800-424-0217 and choose option “9” from the main menu
- Press "1" for Private Car Manager
- Press "2" for Charter Manager
For emergencies, press "0" and you will be transferred to an open line (available 24/7).
Before You Go
Private Car Guidelines at Amtrak Facilities
Private Car Data and Annual Inspection Forms
Private Car Organizations
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.