Making Reservations for Passengers with a Disability
There are several options to purchase tickets for passengers with a disability:
- Online and Mobile App: Reservations for one-way and round-trip train travel can be made on Amtrak.com and in the mobile app for passengers who travel with service animals; passengers who are deaf or have a hearing loss; passengers who are blind or have a vision loss; passengers who need space for a wheeled mobility device, access to the transfer accessible seat or an accessible room; or passengers with a disability who do not need assistance. Reservations can also include one adult companion.
- Telephone: Call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can assist you with reservations that include special service requests (oxygen equipment, special dietary requirements, etc.).
- TTY: Call 1-800-523-6590. Agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- At a Station Ticket Counter: Ticket agents at staffed stations are available to sell tickets during regular ticket office hours. Learn more about Amtrak Stations including accessible amenities at each station.
Passengers with disabilities and up to one traveling companion are eligible for a rail fare discount. See the discounts for passengers with disabilities detail page for discount amounts and any restrictions that may apply.
When You Should Make Reservations
Make a reservation for any of the following:
- Traveling with a wheeled mobility device space (for when you will remain seated in your wheelchair during travel)
- You wish to transfer to an accessible seat (for when you travel in a seat and stow your wheelchair)
- Contact us at at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or TTY 1-800-523-6590 or chat with an agent:
- If traveling without a wheelchair but need an accessible seat
- if you need an accessible seat when traveling with a wheelchair that you do not wish to sit in and will not collapse and stow
- Traveling without a wheelchair but need assistive equipment (e.g. ramp, lift, etc.) for boarding or detraining
For these types of accommodations, reservations are encouraged on all trains, including on "unreserved trains" (on which reservations for standard seating is not required).
Accessible spaces for a wheeled mobility device and/or transfer accessible seats are limited. Make your reservation in advance to ensure availability.
Who May Reserve Accessible Room Accommodations
Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers with a disability who travel with a wheeled mobility device.
Passengers booking an accessible bedroom accommodation will be required to certify that they require one or more of the accessible features of the accessible room accommodation in order to book and receive the discount. Passengers are not required to indicate the type of disability they have but only that they require the accessible features due to a disability. Conductors on trains with accessible room accommodations will provide a self-certification form to be completed by the passenger.
Within 14 days prior to a train departure from its origin city, and if all other Bedroom and Family bedrooms have been reserved, accessible bedroom are made available to all passengers on a first-come, first-served basis. For this reason, we urge you to make your reservations as far in advance of travel as possible.
Accessible Group Travel – Additional Wheeled Mobility Device Space
Passengers traveling together who use wheeled mobility devices and wish to be seated together while remaining in their wheelchairs may submit a request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-872-1477 with the details of your request (for example, departure and arrival stations, preferred date(s) of travel, and contact information). With sufficient advance notice (at least 14 days) and the availability of space, equipment, and other necessary resources, Amtrak will provide the necessary floor space for the customers to be seated together while remaining in their mobility devices, at no extra charge. If a request cannot be fulfilled, Amtrak will make reasonable efforts to provide alternative accommodations. Responses to requests will be made at the earliest time or within five business days.
Exclusive or significant occupancy of a car
Requests to make floor space available for exclusive or significant occupancy of a car should follow the same process described above (costs may apply).
Passwords are case sensitive, should be at least 10 characters long and should include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter the email address or member number associated with your account. We will send password reset instructions.
An email with password reset instructions is on the way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.