Discount Information for Children
All children 2-12 years of age may travel at fifty percent off the adult fare.
Make memories and save money when you take the kids on a journey they’ll never forget. They'll experience the wonder of the train, while you enjoy a trip without baggage fees or traffic.
Infants Ride Free
One infant under the age of two may ride free with each passenger paying an adult fare. Free infants ride on the lap of the adult. Additional infants per adult travel at the child fare.
Child and infant discounts are automatically applied when adding travelers to your booking – No Promo Code needed.
- Children and infants must be accompanied by at least one adult (18+) in the same reservation.
- Children 2-12 years of age may not travel unaccompanied.*
- All persons 13 years of age or older, and all unaccompanied minors, pay adult fares.
- Children under 2 years occupying a separate coach seat will be charged the fare for children aged 2-12 years.
- Children's ages are determined by actual date of birth.
- The age of the child at the start of the trip determines the fare that applies for the entire itinerary.
- Amtrak reserves the right to require proof of age at any time.
- The children's discount is not valid on weekday Acela trains.
- Does not apply to non-Acela Business class, First class or sleeping accommodation charges. These upgrades are permitted upon payment of the full accommodation charges.
- Not valid for travel on certain Amtrak Thruway connecting services.
- Additional restrictions may apply.
Learn more about the booking limits for number of passengers per transaction.
Traveling with Car Seats
Child car seats cannot be secured to any seats onboard Amtrak trains or buses. Passengers traveling with an infant/small child in a child car seat may place the seat in a vacant seat only if it is not needed for a paying passenger; children under 2 years of age may be required to ride on the passenger’s lap and the child car seat stored in an appropriate baggage area.
- Children age 12 and under may not travel unaccompanied. They must travel with another person who is at least 18 years old.*
- Children 13, 14 and 15 years old may travel as unaccompanied minors only under certain conditions.
- Reservations for unaccompanied minors cannot be made on Amtrak.com.
- Additional rules and restrictions apply.
*Exception: A minor who is 16 or 17, who is a parent to children of any age, may bring those children without restriction. The 16- or 17-year-old must bring proof that he or she is the parent of the children.
You Might Also Like
Passwords are case sensitive, should be at least 10 characters long and should include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter the email address or member number associated with your account. We will send password reset instructions.
An email with password reset instructions is on the way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.