Auto Train Boarding and Vehicle Requirements
Bring your automobile, van, SUV, truck or motorcycles nonstop between Lorton, VA, and Sanford, FL. You must reserve space and check in each vehicle you bring.
A limited number of spaces are available to carry small enclosed trailers, trailers for transporting boats, jet-skis, trikes (three-wheeled vehicles), sidecars, choppers, etc. Additional fees may apply for these vehicles.
- Only Harley-Davidson three-wheeled vehicles will be accepted.
- Can-Am motorcycles, Rewaco trikes and Polaris Slingshots will not be accepted.
For customized vehicles (such as a stretched limousine), please verify that your vehicle can be accommodated prior to booking. Call us at 1-877-SKIP-I-95 (1-877-754-7495) for more information.
Vehicle Check-In Times and Dimensions Guidelines
- Vehicle check-in begins at 11:30 am on the day of departure.
- Motorcycles must be checked in by 2 pm. There are no exceptions.
- Vehicle/trailer combinations must arrive by 2 pm, or the two vehicles cannot be loaded.
- Vehicles, including Priority Offloading, will not be accepted after 2:30 pm. Recommend by 2 pm.
|Vehicle Type||Dimension and Clearance Limits||Other Information|
|Standard factory-model (originally manufactured length) automobiles, vans, SUVs and trucks. No dual wheel vehicles. No gull wing doors.
- Maximum height: 88 inches.
- Maximum width: 84 inches.
- Ground clearance: at least 4 inches.
|Empty, factory-installed ski and luggage racks are okay; temporary luggage and bicycle racks are not. Luggage and bicycles may not be attached to the roof (unless with passenger-signed damage waiver). Bicycles in bicycle racks may be attached to the back of the vehicle only.
|- Maximum height: 72 inches to top of handelbars/windshield.
- Maximum width: 51 inches.
- Maximum length: 102 inches from front to rear tire edges.
- Ground clearance: at least 5 inches.
- Tire maximum: 7 inches wide, 2 1/2 inches deep.
|Standard factory-model two-wheel motorcycles can be accepted.
Larger saddlebags must be removed. Bags may be secured to the trailer or carried onboard if space permits.
Motorcyles that are exceptions to these requirements may be loaded if the passenger signs a damage waiver.
For small trailers, jet-skis, trikes (three-wheeled vehicles), sidecars, choppers, etc. call 1-877-SKIP-I-95 (1-877-754-7495).
Check-In Tips & Reminders
- Early check-in recommended. Checking in your vehicle and preparing it for the journey may take some time.
- Auto Train is ticketless; physical tickets are not needed. All you need is reservation confirmation document and government-issued ID or just your name and government-issued ID. Learn about Auto Train Ticketless Check-In.
- Check traffic to the station. Traffic can be heavy around Washington, DC and Orlando, FL. Leave enough time to get to the station.
- Gather your belongings. Take all items you need while on the train before checking your car. You will not have access your car during the journey.
- Deactivate car alarm systems before you drop off your car. Failure to do so may result in a dead battery if your alarm goes off en route.
- Do not leave valuable items in your car.
Passengers per Vehicle
The number of passengers in a reservation may not exceed the capacity of the vehicles in that reservation. At least one of the passengers must be licensed to drive the vehicle added to the reservation. If more than one vehicle is added to a reservation, there must be a separate licensed driver for each vehicle.
We do not offer checked baggage service on the Auto Train. You may pack baggage inside your vehicle; however, you may not access your vehicle en route. Amtrak allows two carry-on bags per passenger.
Hoverboards are not allow on the train as carry-on baggage or in vehicles carried on the Auto Train.
Luggage and Bicycle Racks
All luggage, luggage carriers and bicycles must be removed from the top of your vehicle and stored inside the vehicle before it may be boarded on the Auto Train. Bicycles cannot be brought onboard.
We cannot carry vehicles with temporary luggage racks or bicycle racks attached to the roof. Factory-installed roof racks are permitted, but must remain empty during the trip.
Rear-Mounted Bicycle Racks
Bicycles can remain in bicycle racks attached to the back of the vehicle only. You must sign a loss or damage waiver for bicycles transported on the back of the vehicle.
Transportation of vehicles and their contents via Auto Train is subject to special rules and regulations contained in tariffs, which are available for inspection at any Amtrak ticket office.
Personal effects and baggage remaining in your vehicle during transit are solely your responsibility. Amtrak is unable to accept responsibility for these items. In the unlikely event of damage to your vehicle in transit or during loading or unloading, Amtrak will accept responsibility only if you report the damage to an authorized Amtrak representative before leaving the terminal; the Amtrak representative must determine that the damage occurred while the vehicle was in Amtrak custody.
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.