Amtrak has undertaken heightened security measures for the benefit of our customers.
Valid Photo ID Required
Amtrak customers 18 years of age and older must produce valid photo identification when:
- Exchanging, refunding or reprinting Amtrak travel documents
- Purchasing documents with a stored eVoucher or Transportation Credit
- Traveling as a Pass Rider (active or retired)
- Storing baggage at stations
- Checking baggage (including firearms)
- Sending Amtrak Express shipments
- Asked onboard trains by train crew members, other Amtrak or operating railroad employees
- Asked any time by Amtrak police or any law enforcement officer
- Traveling into Canada
- Guardian purchasing an unaccompanied minor travel documents or signing the release form
What is a Valid ID?
To be valid, your identification must be current and in-force. The following forms of identification are acceptable for persons 18 and older:
- One piece of photo identification issued by a government authority, or
- Two pieces of identification, at least one of which is issued by a government authority
Examples of acceptable forms of ID include:
- State or provincial driver's license
- Official government-issued identification (federal, state, city or county government or foreign government)
- Canadian provincial health card ID card with photo
- Military photo ID
- Student identification (university, college or high school photo ID)
- Job Corps photo ID
Random Ticket/ID Checks
Following federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines, we regularly conduct random ticket verification checks onboard trains to ensure that passengers are properly ticketed. Please be prepared to show valid photo identification to a member of the onboard crew upon request.
Passengers purchasing tickets onboard trains from conductors must provide photo identification and be at least 16 years old. Tickets purchased onboard include a service fee built into the fare. This fee cannot be waived.
Passengers boarding at any staffed station or station with an Amtrak kiosk should purchase tickets prior to boarding the train.
All baggage should contain an ID tag. Free tags are available at our stations. For the safety and comfort of our passengers we strictly enforce certain baggage restrictions. Learn more about our baggage policies.
Travel Across the US-Canadian Border
If your trip involves travel across the US-Canadian border on a train or Thruway bus, review our border crossing information.
Passwords are case sensitive, should be at least 10 characters long and should include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter the email address or member number associated with your account. We will send password reset instructions.
An email with password reset instructions is on the way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.