Amtrak has undertaken heightened security measures for the benefit of our customers.
Valid Photo Identification Required
Photo ID Required
Amtrak customers 18 years of age and older must produce valid photo identification when:
- Exchanging, refunding or reprinting Amtrak travel documents
- Purchasing documents with a stored eVoucher or Transportation Credit
- Traveling as a Pass Rider (active or retired)
- Storing baggage at stations
- Checking baggage (including firearms)
- Sending Amtrak Express shipments
- Asked onboard trains by train crew members, other Amtrak or operating railroad employees
- Asked any time by Amtrak police or any law enforcement officer
- Traveling into Canada
- Guardian purchasing an unaccompanied minor travel documents or signing the release form
Random Ticket/ID Checks
Following federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines, we regularly conduct random ticket verification checks onboard trains to ensure that passengers are properly ticketed. Please be prepared to show valid photo identification to a member of the onboard crew upon request.
What is a Valid ID?
To be valid, your identification must be current and in-force. The following forms of identification are acceptable for persons 18 and older:
- One piece of photo identification issued by a government authority, or
- Two pieces of identification, at least one of which is issued by a government authority
Examples of acceptable forms of ID include:
- State or provincial driver's license
- Official government-issued identification (federal, state, city or county government or foreign government)
- Canadian provincial health card ID card with photo
- Military photo ID
- Student identification (university, college or high school photo ID)
- Job Corps photo ID
Policy Regarding Ticket Purchase
Passengers purchasing tickets onboard trains from conductors must provide photo identification and be at least 16 years old.
Passengers boarding at any staffed station or station with a Quik-Trak kiosk should purchase tickets prior to boarding the train.
Tickets purchased on board include a service fee built into the fare. This fee cannot be waived.
For the safety and comfort of our passengers we strictly enforce certain baggage restrictions. Learn more about our baggage policies.
If you have any questions regarding baggage, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Be sure that you understand and are prepared to follow all baggage guidelines before arriving at your departure station.
US/Canada Border Crossing
If your trip involves travel across the US/Canada border, review our Border Crossing Information.
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.