How to Change Your Reservation
New travel plans? No problem. Here's some essential information that you'll need if you have to change your ticket.
Ticket Changes and/or Cancellations
- Changes. Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by December 31, 2020. This includes reservations booked with points. To modify a reservation, log in to your account, go to ‘Modify Trip’ on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary.
- Cancelations. Amtrak is waiving all cancelation fees for reservations made by October 31, 2020. This includes reservations booked with points. If you want to cancel your reservation without a fee, you must call 1-800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the Amtrak app).
What You Can Do
Amtrak.com gives you the freedom to make quick and easy changes to existing reservations that were made online, through the Amtrak App or in a station anytime you want. Enjoy the flexibility of changing the dates and times of your departure and/or return trip or feel free to upgrade your seat or sleeping options. Changes can only be made if there is an email address on file through Amtrak.com or modify reservations through the Amtrak App. Once your changes are complete, your ticket barcode will automatically update, so there's no need to reprint your ticket. If you skip the paper route, you can simply show the PDF barcode to the conductor from your phone or tablet. It's that easy.
Changing Reservations on Amtrak.com
If you booked online at Amtrak.com, you can easily change your reservation online.
- If you made your reservation while logged into your Amtrak.com account, simply log into your account to begin the modification process.
- If you made your reservation on Amtrak.com as a guest, you'll need your reservation number and the email address or telephone number used while making the reservation to make changes.
Changing Reservations through Our App
On the app Home screen, you’ll see your upcoming travel listed, along with a form to retrieve other reservations. From here, there are two ways to change your trip.
- On the Home screen card that includes the barcode, tap “Trip Tools”, then select “Modify Reservation”.
- Enter a reservation number and an email or phone number to retreive your reservation details, then tap “Change Trip” right below the barcode.
If you don't see the change button, your reservation may not be changed through the app.
Amtrak doesn't charge a ticket change fee, but other fees may apply. Policies regarding ticket changes vary; limitations and exclusions apply.
Changing Your Reserved Seating Selection (Select Trains Only)
If your trip includes an Acela train or one of the select Northeast Regional trains that offers reserved seating, you may select a different seat at any time. Go to Modify Trip on Amtrak.com or find your reservation in the Amtrak app to view or change your reserved seating selection. If you prefer, you can also talk to an agent in‐station, or call 800‐USA‐RAIL. When the change to your reserved seating selection is confirmed, you will receive an updated eTicket.
Apple, the Apple logo and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
Passwords are case sensitive, should be at least 10 characters long and should include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter the email address or member number associated with your account. We will send password reset instructions.
An email with password reset instructions is on the way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.