Reservations for children 13, 14 and 15 years old traveling alone cannot be made on Amtrak.com, but can be made in accordance with the Amtrak Unaccompanied Minor Policy.
Children age 12 and under may not travel unaccompanied. They must travel with another person who is at least 18 years old (see *exception below).
Children 13, 14 and 15 years old may travel unaccompanied in accordance with the Amtrak Unaccompanied Minor Policy, which includes the certain conditions:
Booking Tickets for Unaccompanied Minors
To make reservations for unaccompanied minors you must call us at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Reservations for unaccompanied minors cannot be made on Amtrak.com.
- Travel is permitted only on Amtrak trains. Travel is not permitted on Thruway motorcoach service, or on any other connecting services.
- Both boarding and arrival stations must be staffed. (Please note that even certain staffed stations do not allow for unaccompanied minors.)
- All travel must take place on the same day with the scheduled departure time no earlier than 5:30 am and the scheduled arrival time no later than 9:30 pm. Overnight travel is not allowed.
- No transfers of any kind are permitted.
- All travel must be within the United States. Unaccompanied minors may not cross the US-Canadian border.
- For each unaccompanied minor traveling alone, the adult (at least 18 years old) bringing the child to the departure station must complete and sign a release form. Both the adult and the minor must be at the boarding station at least 1 hour before the train's departure time.
- The child must be interviewed by station personnel to determine if the child is capable of traveling alone.
- The child must wear an Amtrak issued wristband for the duration of travel.
- The adult must remain at the station until the train has departed.
- Upon arrival, an adult (at least 18 years old) must be present to pick up the child. The adult must display valid current identification meeting the Amtrak ID policies.
- Children traveling alone are not entitled to a children's discount; full adult fares are charged and no additional discounts are permitted.
- Tickets for unaccompanied children may not be purchased online.
- Because there are not at least two staffed stations along several routes, unaccompanied minors may not travel between any stations on the Downeaster (Boston, MA - Portland, ME), Heartland Flyer (Oklahoma City, OK - Fort Worth, TX) and Pere Marquette (Chicago, IL - Grand Rapids, MI).
Children 16 and over may travel without restriction.
*Exception: A minor who is 16 or 17, who is a parent to children of any age, may bring those children without restriction. The 16- or 17-year-old must bring proof that he or she is the parent of the children.
If a group of children are traveling, and some are 16-17, some are 13-15, and some are under 13:
- The 16-17 year olds may travel without restriction.
- The 13-15 year olds must travel as unaccompanied minors because no one is 18 or over. The Unaccompanied Minor Policy applies.
- The children under 13 may not travel because no one is 18 or over. The Unaccompanied Minor Policy applies.
Take Precautions for Allergies
Because Amtrak is unable to guarantee a peanut-free or allergen-free trip, we strongly encourage unaccompanied minor passengers to take all necessary medical precautions to prepare for the possibility of exposure. Parents/guardians must ensure that the unaccompanied minor travel with all necessary medications for food allergies (including epinephrine auto-injectors) and is properly trained to self-administer these medications.
What else should I do before buying tickets for unaccompanied minors?
It is extremely important to make sure that every segment of the unaccompanied child's trip can be accommodated before completing travel plans, purchasing a ticket, and arriving at the station. Additional restrictions may apply. Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) for further details.
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.