Auto Train Boarding and Vehicle Requirements
To travel on the Auto Train you must reserve space for each vehicle you bring, and check in your vehicle prior to travel.
What Type of Vehicle Can I Bring?
You may bring automobiles, vans, SUVs, trucks and motorcycles on the Auto Train as long as they meet certain vehicle dimension requirements.
In addition, a limited number of spaces are available to carry small enclosed trailers, trailers for transporting boats, jet-skis, trikes (three-wheeled vehicles), sidecars, choppers, etc. For customized vehicles (such as a stretched limousine), please verify that your vehicle can be accommodated prior to booking. Call us at 1-877-SKIP-I-95 (1-877-754-7495) for more information.
When Must I Check In My Vehicle?
- Auto Train begins accepting vehicles at 11:30 am on the day of departure.
- Motorcycles must be checked in by 2 pm. There are no exceptions.
- Vehicle/trailer combinations must arrive by 2 pm, or the two vehicles cannot be loaded.
- Priority Offloading vehicles must be checked in by 2:30 pm.
- Vehicles will not be accepted after 2:30 pm.
|Vehicle Type||Dimension and Clearance Limits||Other Information|
|Standard factory-model (originally manufactured length) automobiles, vans, SUVs and trucks. No dual wheel vehicles. No gull wing doors.
- Maximum height: 88 inches.
- Maximum width: 84 inches.
- Ground clearance: at least 4 inches.
|Empty, factory-installed ski and luggage racks are okay; temporary luggage and bicycle racks are not. Luggage and bicycles may not be attached to the roof (unless with passenger-signed damage waiver). Bicycles in bicycle racks may be attached to the back of the vehicle only.
|- Maximum height: 72 inches to top of handelbars/windshield.
- Maximum width: 51 inches.
- Maximum length: 102 inches from front to rear tire edges.
- Ground clearance: at least 5 inches.
- Tire maximum: 7 inches wide, 2 1/2 inches deep.
|Standard factory-model two-wheel motorcycles can be accepted.
Larger saddlebags must be removed. Bags may be secured to the trailer or carried onboard if space permits.
Motorcyles that are exceptions to these requirements may be loaded if the passenger signs a damage waiver.
For small trailers, jet-skis, trikes (three-wheeled vehicles), sidecars, choppers, etc. call 1-877-SKIP-I-95 (1-877-754-7495).
Transportation of vehicles and their contents via Auto Train is subject to special rules and regulations contained in tariffs, which are available for inspection at any Amtrak ticket office.
Personal effects and baggage remaining in your vehicle during transit are solely your responsibility. Amtrak is unable to accept responsibility for these items. In the unlikely event of damage to your vehicle in transit or during loading or unloading, Amtrak will accept responsibility only if you report the damage to an authorized Amtrak representative before leaving the terminal; the Amtrak representative must determine that the damage occurred while the vehicle was in Amtrak custody.
Check-In Tips & Reminders
- Early check-in is highly recommended. Checking in your vehicle and preparing it for the journey may take some time.
- Auto Train is ticketless; physical tickets are not needed. All you need is reservation confirmation document and government-issued ID or just your name and government-issued ID. Learn more about how Auto Train eTicketing enhances your travel experience, visit Auto Train Ticketless Check-In for more information.
- Traffic can be heavy around Washington, DC and Orlando, FL. Leave enough time to get to the station.
- Take all items you need with you while on board before checking your car. You will not be able to access your car during the journey.
- Do not leave valuable items in your car.
- If you have a car alarm system, deactivate it before you drop off your car. Failure to do so may result in a dead battery if your alarm goes off en route.
Can I Check Baggage?
We do not offer checked baggage service on the Auto Train. You may pack baggage inside your vehicle; however, you may not access your vehicle en route. Amtrak allows two carry-on bags per passenger. Hoverboards are not allow on the train as carry-on baggage or in vehicles carried on the Auto Train.
Can I Put My Luggage or Bicycle on Racks?
All luggage, luggage carriers and bicycles must be removed from the top of your vehicle and stored inside the vehicle before it may be boarded on the Auto Train. Bicycles cannot be brought onboard.
We cannot carry vehicles with temporary luggage racks or bicycle racks attached to the roof. Factory-installed roof racks are permitted, but must remain empty during the trip.
Rear-Mounted Bicycle Racks
Bicycles can remain in bicycle racks attached to the back of the vehicle only. You must sign a loss or damage waiver for bicycles transported on the back of the vehicle.
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.