The "Child" Passenger Type
Children Ages 2-12 Save 50%
Passengers 2 to 12 years of age are classified as “Child” passengers for the purpose of determining base rail fare. Children are eligible to receive a 50% discount on the lowest available adult rail fare on most Amtrak trains with each fare-paying adult (age 18+).
Up to Two Children per Adult
On most trains and on most days, up to two children may travel at the half-price fare with each fare-paying adult (age 18+). If any additional child per adult will be traveling, reservations must be made for that child as an “Adult” and the full adult fare will be charged.
- Passengers 2 to 12 years of age must travel with an adult passenger who is at least 18 years old.
- Children traveling alone are not entitled to a children's discount.
- The children's discount is not valid on weekday Acela Express trains.
- The children's discount does not apply to Business class, First class or sleeping accommodation charges. These upgrades are permitted upon payment of the full accommodation charges.
- The children's discount is not valid for travel on certain Amtrak Thruway connecting services.
- Additional restrictions may apply.
- Children 12 and under may not travel unaccompanied. They must travel with another person who is at least 18 years old.*
- Children aged 13 through 15 may travel unaccompanied only under certain conditions.
- Reservations for unaccompanied minors cannot be made on Amtrak.com.
- Additional rules and restrictions apply. Visit the Unaccompanied Minors policy page for full details.
*Exception: A minor who is 16 or 17, who is a parent to children of any age, may bring those children without restriction. The 16- or 17-year-old must bring proof that he or she is the parent of the children.
Up to Eight Passengers in Each Online Reservation
You can make reservations for up to eight passengers in each online transaction. To make reservations for more than eight passengers, you may complete an additional online transaction, or you may call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) for assistance.
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.