Refunds and Exchanges
Once the value of a refund has been calculated, based on the rules applicable to the fare paid, there are two options to receive the refund value:
- eVoucher: Passengers may receive the calculated refund value in the form of an eVoucher or in some limited situations, in the form of a non-refundable paper Exchange Voucher. Both are valid for future travel purchases. Visit eVouchers for more details about this ticket exchange option.
- Refund: Subject to the conditions below, if a passenger does not take the entire trip paid for, the remaining ticket value is calculated by subtracting the fare for any travel already taken from the total amount paid. The fare for travel already taken is the fare the passenger would have paid for that travel had that been the only travel purchased. The word "ticket" applies to both an eTicket and a paper value ticket. The refund policy applies as soon as payment is made, whether or not any ticket is printed, and applies to entire fare paid including both rail fare and any accommodation charge. The Amtrak refund policy is subject to change at any time. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) to speak with an Amtrak Reservations Agent for details.
Refunds will be calculated for the total fare paid for each trip, as described below.
Passenger travel in a reservation is grouped into trips. A "trip" is a grouping of continuous travel. Example: A booking Wilmington - Washington - Chicago - Seattle with same-day connections is one trip. Refund rules are applied based on the scheduled departure for the first travel in a trip. When more than one type of travel is in a trip, the refund policy is applied to the entire trip based on the primary travel type in the trip which is determined in the following order:
- Sleeping Accommodations: If canceled 15 or more days before the scheduled departure from the origin, sleeping accommodation charges and associated rail fares are refundable less a 20% refund fee. If canceled 14 days or fewer before the scheduled departure from the origin, but before the scheduled departure, sleeping accommodation charges and associated rail fares are not refundable but the value may be applied to an eVoucher that can be used toward future travel within one year. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel.
- Acela Express First Class and non-Acela Business Class: If canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin, the ticket is fully refundable without a refund fee. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the ticket is refundable less a 20% refund fee.
- Reserved Coach and Acela Express Business Class: Refund rules vary based on the type of fare purchased. Tickets sold as a Value fare are fully refundable up to 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure from the origin and will incur a 20% fee if refunded less than 48 hours. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel. Tickets sold as a Flexible fare are fully refundable and will not be charged a fee.
- Advance Purchase Fare: Refundability is based on the rules applying to the particular fare. Some advance booking/purchase fares (such as Saver fares) are not refundable. If canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin, the ticket value may be saved as credit in a non refundable eVoucher that can be used for future Amtrak travel. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel.
- Unreserved Coach: A 20% refund fee applies at all times.
Example: If a trip includes both reserved coach and sleeper. The sleeper refund policy applies to the entire trip.
Unlimited monthly tickets are refundable if returned for refund before month begins. If returned on days 1 - 10 of the valid month, 50% of the value is refundable. If returned on day 11 or later, no refund or exchange credit. Multi-ride tickets good for a fixed number of rides are refundable if the ticket is wholly unused. If one or more rides have been taken, no refund or exchange credit. Refund fee applies to all multiride refunds. Refunds may be restricted if the multiride ticket was paid with a tax-free transit subsidy.
Monthly Ticket Refund Policy
Monthly ticket refunds are calculated based on the date of the refund request.
|Refund Request Date||Amount of Refund
|Before valid month
||Full refund, less 20% refund fee
|Day 1 through day 10 of valid month
||50% refund, less 20% refund fee
|On or after day 11 of valid month
Ten-Ride and Six-Ride Ticket Refund Policy
|Number of Rides (punches) Taken
||Amount of Refund
||Full refund, less 20% refund fee
|One or more
Multi-Ride Tickets Sold for Other Carriers
The refund policies for multi-ride tickets sold by Amtrak for other carriers (such as MARC and Shore Line East) are determined by the carrier.
Vehicles (Automobile, Van, Motorcycle, Bicycle) and Carry-on Fees (Golf Bags, etc.)
The refund policy is that of the passenger ticket with which the vehicle or carry-on fee ticket is associated. Example: Sleeper and automobile on Auto Train. The sleeper refund policy also applies to the automobile ticket.
Boarding Train Late or Leaving Train Early, or Downgrading on the Train
No refund or exchange credit is given if a passenger boards a train at a station beyond, or detrains at a station before, the station from or to which he or she was reserved, or if the passenger downgrades accommodations on the train. To receive a fare adjustment the passenger must change the reservation before the train departs the original boarding station of that train. This restriction will not apply if there is a service disruption.
Where applicable, refund fee is 20% of the total amount refunded, with a minimum amount of $5.00 and a maximum amount of $100.00 per refund transaction. Unless stated otherwise, if a ticket is refundable, the passenger may avoid any refund fee by accepting the full refund value of the ticket as an eVoucher or other exchange credit, good toward future travel within one year.
Refund Restrictions and Late Trains
The above restrictions and fees will not apply to refunds requested by passengers who chose not to travel due to a long distance train being two or more hours late or a corridor train being one or more hours late at the departure station.
An Amtrak ticket becomes non-refundable, not valid for carriage and has no exchange value, after one year from the date payment was made for that ticket (or other period if so endorsed on the ticket). An eVoucher or other exchange credit is valid for one year from date of issue.
eTicket and Prepaid Tickets
eTickets and tickets purchased through other prepaid programs are considered "paid for" and subject to the refund policies of any component rail fare, passenger type discount, and/or promotional discount, even if paper value tickets have not yet been printed.
Passengers who downgrade accommodations or reduce the number in their party on board trains must obtain a Refund Authorization Form from the conductor; actual refundability, if any, will be determined by the rules that apply to the fare paid.
Must Return Original Tickets
Cancellation or change of reservations does not generate a refund (except for eTicket reservations); the actual original unused or partially used ticket (not a photocopy) must be submitted.
Where to Obtain Refunds
Refunds of eTickets may be processed at ticket offices, by calling 800-USA-RAIL or through the Amtrak Refunds department. If paper value tickets were printed, they must be returned for any refund. Stations do not keep large amounts of cash on hand and refunds of eTickets or paper value tickets paid by cash may have to be sent to Amtrak Refunds, which will send a refund check. Paper value tickets purchased from a travel agency must be returned to that agency, except when there is a service disruption.
Most tickets purchased online can be canceled and refunded online.
Amtrak can process your unused ticket refund by mail. Send original tickets via certified mail with return receipt requested to:
30th St. Station
2955 Market Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2898
Reward Ticket Cancellations & Modifications
The following applies to tickets redeemed using Amtrak Guest Rewards points:
One-Way, Round-Trip, or Multi-Segment Reward Travel
- Cancellations: A 10% points penalty is assessed for any refund (redeposit) to the Member account. If canceling a non-sleeper ticket within 24 hours prior to departure, or a sleeper ticket within 14 days prior to departure, an additional "close-in" penalty of 10% of the points redeemed will be collected (waived for Select Executive members).
- Modifications: A points difference (to new, prevailing fare) will apply in all cases with a 10% points penalty withheld on any fare difference returned to member. If modifying a non-sleeper ticket within 24 hours prior to departure, or a sleeper ticket within 14 days prior to departure, an additional "close-in" penalty of 10% of the points redeemed will be collected (waived for Select Executive members).
Multi-Ride (Six-Ride, Ten-Ride) Reward Tickets
- Cancellations: Points are refunded minus a 10% points penalty if unused and unexpired. Points are non-refundable if first trip is used or if ticket is expired.
- Modifications: Before first ride, a full exchange in point value will be issued without penalty. No exchange in point value after first ride or after expiry—whichever comes first.
Monthly Pass Reward Travel
- Cancellations: Points are refunded minus a 10% point penalty prior to first day of valid month. Redemption is non-refundable on or after first day of valid month.
- Modifications: Full exchange in point value prior to valid month. No exchange in point value on or after first day of valid month.
See the Amtrak Guest Rewards Redemption Guidelines for complete details on booking, canceling or modifying reward ticket reservations.
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.