Take Advantage of the California Rail Pass for Your Train Tickets to California
California Rail Pass
- $159 per adult
- $79.50 per child
- Book at 1-800-USA-RAIL. Then visit an Amtrak station ticket office to pay for and pick up your pass.
- Valid for travel on any 7 days during a consecutive 21-day period
- Green way to see California
See the Golden State for One Low Price
The Golden State of California offers lots of diverse travel opportunities — from San Diego to San Francisco and from Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles. That's why Amtrak offers the California Rail Pass that gives our passengers the freedom to travel and the ability to experience it all. Take the train to the California desert or explore more of the state to experience the distinct characteristics and the many faces of California. The California Rail Pass allows for up to 7 days of travel in California over a 21-day period for $159 for adults and $79.50 for children 2 - 12.
Eligible California Trains
- Capitol Corridor, San Joaquins and Pacific Surfliner corridor trains
- Most connecting Thruway bus services associated with those corridors (including the Thruway extensions to Reno and Las Vegas in Nevada)
- Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Dunsmuir, California
The California Rail Pass is not valid on the Sunset Limited, the Southwest Chief, the California Zephyr and the Texas Eagle. On the Coast Starlight, travel to or from points outside California requires a separate fare, calculated between Dunsmuir and the out-of-state origin or destination.
- For adults: $159
- For children (ages 2 - 12): $79.50 (one child may ride with each full-fare paying adult)
- The California Rail Pass is valid for travel on any 7 days during a consecutive 21-day period.
- Travel during any part of a calendar day counts as using that day.
- Travel is limited to not more than four one-way journeys on a given route segment.
- The pass is not transferable and must be used within one year of purchase.
How to Purchase your California Rail Pass
Sorry, you cannot purchase the California Rail Pass online. To purchase a pass, please call your travel agent or Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Reservations and Tickets Required
In addition to holding the pass, you must make reservations on all trains. Please make your reservations well in advance to avoid sold-out conditions.
You must obtain hard-copy tickets for all travel. Your pass is not valid without a corresponding ticket. A ticket is required for each travel segment and must be obtained prior to boarding. Please bring identification and be prepared to present it.
A pass holder is entitled to regular Coach Class travel. Passengers may upgrade to Business Class or Sleeping Accommodations by paying the applicable accommodations fees.
Refunds and Cancellation
The pass is refundable only if it has not been used for travel, and the pass and all tickets issued against it are returned to Amtrak at least one day prior to any reserved travel. A penalty may apply to Sleeping Car accommodations not canceled at least 15 days before departure.
This pass may not be combined with other offers, discounts or promotions unless specifically allowed under the terms and conditions of such offers, discounts or promotions. Further rules and restrictions may apply. Contact Amtrak for details. Passes subject to change without notice.
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.