Service Adjustments Due to CoronavirusSeptember 28, 2020, 3:15 pm ET
Updated Service Plan
Several Amtrak trains across the country are currently operating on adjusted schedules. The most up-to-date schedules are available when booking your trip on Amtrak.com and in the mobile app.
Updates to Amtrak Service
- Acela (Boston – Washington, DC)
- Northeast Regional (Boston – New York – Washington, DC – Virginia)
- Adirondack (New York – Montreal): No service north of Albany.
- Amtrak Hartford Line (New Haven, CT – Springfield, MA)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus routes
- Capitol Corridor (San Jose – Sacramento)
- Carolinian (Charlotte – New York)
- Cascades (Eugene – Vancouver, B.C.): No service north of Seattle.
- Downeaster (Boston – Brunswick, ME)
- Empire Service (New York – Niagara Falls)
- Ethan Allen Express (New York – Rutland, VT): No service north of Albany.
- Illini/Saluki (Chicago – Carbondale)
- Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg (Chicago – Quincy)
- Keystone Service (Harrisburg – New York)
- Lincoln Service (Chicago – St. Louis)
- Maple Leaf (New York – Toronto): No service west of Niagara Falls, NY.
- Missouri River Runner (St. Louis – Kansas City)
- Pacific Surfliner (San Luis Obispo – San Diego)
- Pere Marquette (Chicago – Grand Rapids)
- Piedmont (Charlotte – Raleigh)
- San Joaquins (Bakersfield – Oakland and Sacramento)
- Valley Flyer (New Haven, CT – Greenfield, MA)
- Vermonter (Washington – St. Albans): No service north of New Haven (Monday-Saturday); no service on Sundays.
- Wolverine (Chicago – Pontiac)
Long Distance Service Updates
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting decrease in travel demand, most Amtrak long distance routes will operate tri-weekly beginning in October 2020. All stations along these routes will be operated on days when Amtrak service is offered. Tri-weekly service will begin on the following routes:
- California Zephyr (Chicago – San Francisco): Begins week of October 5
- Capitol Limited (Washington, DC – Chicago): Begins week of October 5
- City of New Orleans (Chicago – New Orleans): Begins week of October 5
- Coast Starlight (Seattle – Los Angeles): Begins week of October 12
- Crescent (New York – New Orleans): Begins week of October 5
- Empire Builder (Chicago – Seattle/Portland): Begins week of October 19
- Lake Shore Limited (Chicago – New York/Boston): Begins week of October 12
- Palmetto (New York – Savannah): Begins week of October 19
- Southwest Chief (Los Angeles – Chicago): Begins week of October 12
- Texas Eagle (Chicago – San Antonio): Begins week of October 12
Additionally, the Silver Meteor and Silver Star will continue to operate a combined daily service between New York and Miami. The Auto Train will continue to operate daily between Lorton, VA, and Sanford, FL. There are also no changes for the Cardinal and Sunset Limited, which will continue to operate tri-weekly service.
What to Expect
Before traveling on Amtrak, make sure that you have reviewed any advisories or restrictions that may be in place for travel to your destination. Learn more about state-specific travel restrictions.
Some stations may be temporarily unstaffed. If a station is closed, remain waiting in your personal vehicle and check train status in the Amtrak app or on Amtrak.com. Café service will also be suspended on select trains, and all overnight trains, except the Auto Train, will be offering flexible dining. Other services may be impacted as circumstances change.
Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will be contacted and accommodated on trains with similar departure times or on another day.
Ticket Changes and/or Cancellations
- Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by December 31, 2020.
- Cancellation fees are waived through October 31, 2020.
- Cancellation fees (upon customer request) will be waived for tickets purchased through October 31, 2020.
- Cancellation fees (upon customer request) will be waived for tickets purchased through October 31, 2020. Fees will be waived based upon the number of rides taken.
- Multi-ride ticket refunds may only be processed by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL.
- Please note that multi-ride customers will be permitted to travel on Carolinian trains 79/80 (operating between Charlotte and New York) and long-distance trains on the Northeast Corridor (between New York and Washington only) through October 31, 2020.
- Northeast Regional train multi-ride restrictions will be temporarily lifted through October 31, 2020.