Service Adjustments Due to CoronavirusApril 6, 2020, 5:00 pm ET
Latest News & Updates
At this time, various states are undertaking specific safety precautions at stations for customers arriving from out of state. Check with each state for specific guidance. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has urged residents of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to refrain from non-essential travel for 14 days. Amtrak service continues to operate on the Northeast Corridor, providing essential services during this challenging time.
Essential Service Plan
While Amtrak continues to operate across the nation, we have adjusted our train services due to significantly reduced demand. The most up-to-date schedules are available when booking your trip on Amtrak.com and in the mobile app.
Operating on a reduced schedule
- Northeast Corridor (Boston – New York – Washington, DC – Virginia)
- Adirondack (New York – Montreal): No service north of Albany
- Amtrak Hartford Line (New Haven, CT – Springfield, MA)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus routes
- California Zephyr (Chicago- Emeryville, CA): No service between Reno and Denver
- Capitol Corridor (San Jose – Sacramento)
- Cascades (Eugene – Vancouver, B.C.): No service north of Seattle
- Downeaster (Boston – Brunswick, ME)
- Empire Service (New York – Niagara Falls)
- Ethan Allen Express (New York – Rutland, VT): No service north of Albany
- Hiawatha (Chicago – Milwaukee)
- Illini/Saluki (Chicago – Carbondale)
- Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg Chicago – Quincy)
- Lincoln Service (Chicago – St. Louis)
- Maple Leaf (New York – Toronto): No service west of Niagara Falls, NY
- Missouri River Runner (St. Louis – Kansas City) starting March 30
- Pacific Surfliner (San Luis Obispo – San Diego)
- Piedmont (Charlotte – Raleigh)
- San Joaquins (Bakersfield – Oakland and Sacramento)
- Valley Flyer (New Haven, CT – Greenfield, MA)
- Vermonter (Washington – St. Albans): No service north of New Haven (Monday-Saturday) and no service on Sundays.
- Wolverine (Chicago – Pontiac)
Temporarily suspended services
- Acela (Boston – Washington, DC)
- Carolinian (Charlotte – New York)
- Keystone Service (Harrisburg – New York)
- Pennsylvanian trains (New York – Pittsburgh)
- Pere Marquette (Chicago – Grand Rapids)
- Winter Park Express (Denver – Winter Park Resort)
What to Expect
Due to service reductions, some stations may not be staffed. If the station is closed, please proceed directly to the platform to board your train. Café service will also be suspended on select trains. Other services may be impacted as circumstances change.
Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will be contacted and accommodated on trains with similar departure times or on another day.
Ticket Changes and/or Cancellations
Amtrak is waiving change fees for reservations made before May 31, 2020. To modify a reservation, log in to your account, go to ‘Modify Trip’ on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary. If you want to cancel your reservation with no fee, you must call 800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the app).