Service Adjustments Due to CoronavirusMay 26, 2020, 9:00 am ET
Essential Service Plan
While Amtrak continues to operate across the nation, we have adjusted our train services due to significantly reduced demand. The most up-to-date schedules are available when booking your trip on Amtrak.com and in the mobile app.
Operating on a reduced schedule
- Northeast Regional (Boston – New York – Washington, DC – Virginia)
- Adirondack (New York – Montreal): No service north of Albany.
- Amtrak Hartford Line (New Haven, CT – Springfield, MA)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus routes
- Capitol Corridor (San Jose – Sacramento)
- Cascades (Eugene – Vancouver, B.C.): No service north of Seattle.
- Empire Service (New York – Niagara Falls)
- Ethan Allen Express (New York – Rutland, VT): No service north of Albany.
- Hiawatha (Chicago – Milwaukee): Replaced by Amtrak Thruway Buses through May 31; train service returns June 1.
- Illini/Saluki (Chicago – Carbondale)
- Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg (Chicago – Quincy)
- Lincoln Service (Chicago – St. Louis)
- Maple Leaf (New York – Toronto): No service west of Niagara Falls, NY.
- Missouri River Runner (St. Louis – Kansas City)
- Pacific Surfliner (San Luis Obispo – San Diego)
- Piedmont (Charlotte – Raleigh)
- San Joaquins (Bakersfield – Oakland and Sacramento)
- Silver Meteor/Silver Star (New York and Miami): Returning June 3.
- Valley Flyer (New Haven, CT – Greenfield, MA)
- Vermonter (Washington – St. Albans): No service north of New Haven (Monday-Saturday) and no service on Sundays.
- Wolverine (Chicago – Pontiac)
Temporarily suspended services
- Acela (Boston – Washington, DC) Returning June 1.
- Carolinian (Charlotte – New York)
- Downeaster (Boston – Brunswick, ME)
- Keystone Service (Harrisburg – New York): Returning June 1.
- Pennsylvanian trains (New York – Pittsburgh): Returning June 1.
- Pere Marquette (Chicago – Grand Rapids)
What to Expect
Due to service reductions, some stations may not be staffed. If the station is closed, remain waiting in your personal vehicle and check train status in the Amtrak app or on Amtrak.com. Café service will also be suspended on select trains, and all overnight trains, except the Auto Train, will be offering flexible dining. Other services may be impacted as circumstances change.
Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will be contacted and accommodated on trains with similar departure times or on another day.
Ticket Changes and/or Cancellations
- Changes. Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by August 31, 2020. This includes reservations booked with points. To modify a reservation, log in to your account, go to ‘Modify Trip’ on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary.
- Cancelations. Amtrak is waiving all cancelation fees for reservations made by August 31, 2020. This includes reservations booked with points. If you want to cancel your reservation without a fee, you must call 1-800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the Amtrak app).