Homewood, IL, Station Accessibility Improvement ProjectEffective July 27, 2020
Effective Monday, July 27, Amtrak will begin a station accessibility improvement project at the Homewood, IL, station. Phase 1 of the project is expected to be completed in April 2021. During Phase 1, the Homewood station will be closed and not served by Amtrak trains. Illini/Saluki and City of New Orleans service will be adjusted as outlined below:
- Platform will be closed.
- The waiting room and restrooms will be closed for interior renovation. A temporary waiting room and restrooms will be installed near the station building.
- Portions of the parking lot will be closed for construction staging. The existing pay box shelter will be relocated to an accessible area.
- Passengers booking travel to/from Homewood between July 27, 2020 through March 31, 2021 will see on the website that part of the route will be served by buses.
Alternate Transportation to and from Kankakee, IL
- Amtrak will provide chartered buses between the Homewood and Kankakee Amtrak stations for customers traveling to or from points south of Homewood. This will be shown as Buses 4058, 4059, 4390 and 4393 when booking and on tickets or boarding documents.
- No alternate transportation will be offered between Homewood and Chicago.
- Customers destined for Amtrak connections in Chicago can choose to board at Kankakee or use Metra service from Homewood and self-transfer from Metra’s Millennium or Van Buren stations to Chicago Union Station, or board at Joliet and utilize Lincoln Service or Texas Eagle trains.