Exchanges and Refunds
Travel Agents cannot exchange or refund tickets issued by Amtrak. However, tickets that have been produced through a GDS can be.
To exchange a ticket that has been issued thru a GDS, the original tickets must be refunded and new tickets must be generated.
- If the new fare is the same or higher, issue a new set of tickets for the changed reservation. Refund the original ticket(s) through the ARC weekly IAR Sales Report; in the "Back Office Comments," type in "Refund/Reissue" and provide the new ticket number(s).
- If the new fare is lower, follow the instruction above and deduct any applicable penalty from only the difference between the original fare and the new fare. Currently there are no fees associated with Amtrak exchanges; the ticket maintains its full value.
Other Booking Channels
PNR changes cannot be made via the RailAgent or Rail Europe sites. Please use the appropriate site to cancel the current booking and make a new reservation.
For tickets issued through a GDS, the passenger should return the original unused or partially-used ticket(s) to the travel agency the tickets were purchased from. Refund the tickets through your agency’s ARC weekly IAR report. Standard refund policies apply.
Online Booking Tools
eTickets purchased through the RailAgent or Rail Europe sites can be canceled in the respective sites. Please use the appropriate site to cancel the current booking. If a refund fee applies, the appropriate fee will be applied.
Phone: (215) 349-4972
Fax: (215) 349-4968
Plated Agency Tickets
- Use a REN when completing any type of refund transaction; and be sure to include the transaction in your weekly sales report.
- Travel Agencies may only refund Amtrak tickets previously issued by the same agency.
- Refunds can only be issued to the person authorized to receive the refund.
- All refunds must be issued in the same form of payment used to purchase the ticket.
- The travel agency must ensure that a refund is allowed based on fare requirements.
- The only tickets that should be returned to Amtrak Refunds would be partially used, round-trip excursion tickets.
Contact the Travel Agency Service Center for clarification if you are unsure of a tickets eligibility to be refunded.
Refer to your ARC Industry Agents' Handbook for instruction on the processing of refunds through IAR.
Amtrak Customer Refunds
30th Street Station
Box 70, 30th and Market Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.