Our sustainability journey started more than ten years ago as a charter member of the Chicago Climate Exchange (CCX). At that time, we committed to reducing emissions from locomotive diesel fuel by 6% between 2003 and 2010 (baseline usage between 1998 and 2001). We exceeded this goal, and since then we have made additional external sustainability commitments and pledges. In 2009, Amtrak joined The Climate Registry and committed to developing an annual comprehensive greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory. Also in 2009, Amtrak signed onto the American Public Transportation Association Sustainability Commitment and established a baseline inventory of sustainability parameters. In 2010, Amtrak completed our first GHG inventory and we have developed and publicly reported an annual inventory every year since. For details on our more recent commitments and reporting, browse by year of interest.
- Became a signatory to the UIC's Railway Climate Responsibility Pledge, a public commitment to reducing our carbon footprint and integrating sustainability into corporate goals and business practices.
- Produced our first Sustainability Report (covering 2014) that is aligned with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 core standard.
- Produced a comprehensive Sustainability Report covering 2013 accomplishments and challenges.
- Implemented a Green Power Purchasing policy, facilitating the purchase of electricity from renewable sources.
- Achieved the Bronze level of the APTA Sustainability Commitment by completing a sustainability inventory, implementing green initiatives and setting specific goals for reducing fuel and energy use.
- Began reporting greenhouse gas emissions and climate-related initiatives through the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
- Adopted a corporate Sustainability Policy.
- Formed an Environment and Sustainability group in the Law Department. This group took the lead on developing a corporate Sustainability Policy.
- Became a signatory to the Sustainability Declaration of the International Union of Railways (UIC) and shared best practices with other passenger railroads internationally.
Hint: Check your caps lock as passwords are case sensitive. Passwords should be at least 10 characters long and include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase alpha character, 1 number and 1 special character. ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` < | > ~
Enter your account email address to receive password reset instructions.
Thank you. An email with password reset instructions is on its way.
That answer wasn’t correct either. We’ve sent you an email with instructions to reset your password instead.