Built for Amtrak in 1993 by General Electric in Erie, PA, this 4,000 horsepower locomotive provides the pulling power for the Exhibit Train. It was originally based out of New Orleans, operating on various long distance routes. Later, the 822 was reassigned to Albany, NY, operating in the Northeast until it was deemed surplus and stored in 2003. It was selected as one of the 15 P40 locomotives to be upgraded and returned to service as a stimulus project.
Built for Amtrak in July 1988 by General Motors' Electro-Motive Division as 3,000 horsepower F40PH locomotive number 406, was rebuilt as Non-Powered Control Unit number 406 in 2011 at the Amtrak Beech Grove, IA, maintenance facility. As a locomotive, the 406 operated on various routes prior to being stored in 2001. It was added to the Exhibit Train to allow the train to operate in either direction without having to be turned around. The 406 also provides Head End Power (HEP) to power the onboard lights and HVAC systems.
Built in 1950 by the Budd Company for the Union Pacific as Sleeper number 1404 and named Pacific Bend. With 10 roomettes and 6 double bedrooms, it came to Amtrak in 1971 as Sleeper 2603. In 1997, the car was renumbered 2504 and converted for service as a crew dormitory. Stored in 2006, the car remained inactive until 2007, when it was renumbered 10020 and modified for use by the Amtrak Police Department as a Special Communications Car renamed Pacific Command. The original name, Pacific Bend, has been restored.
Built in 1953 by the Budd Company as Baggage car number 3535 for the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe (ATSF), this car came to Amtrak in 1971 and was renumbered 1049. In 1978 it was upgraded from steam heat to HEP, and renumbered 1222. Needing repair and no longer fit for service, the car was stored in 2007 at the Beech Grove, IA, maintenance facility until selected as one of the three 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train Display Cars.
Built in 1957 by the Budd Company as Baggage car number 3547 for the ATSF, this car was transferred to Amtrak in 1971 and was renumbered 1061. In 1978 it was upgraded from steam heat to HEP, and was renumbered 1228. Needing heavy repair, the car was stored in 2009 at the Beech Grove, Ind., maintenance facility until selected as one of the three 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train Display Cars.
Built in 1953 by the Budd Company, the car started as Baggage car number 3512 for the ATSF. Upon transfer to Amtrak in 1971, it was renumbered as 1029. In 2000 the car was rebuilt with bicycle racks for use on the Twilight Shoreliner and renumbered 1856. In 2005, it was stored at the Beech Grove, IA, maintenance facility due to mechanical problems. Selected for use on the 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train, it was the first Display Car to emerge from the Amtrak repair shops.
Built for Amtrak by the Budd Company in 1976 as Amclub number 20130, it featured a "split club" configuration of 18 club seats at one end and 23 coach seats on the other. In 2000, the car was converted to Capstone Cafe car 85004 for use on the newly branded Acela Regional service. It was stored in 2005 due to an overabundance of food service cars of this type in the fleet.