Lost Items & Limited Liability for Baggage
Lost Item Report
Reports for lost or misplaced items left on trains or in stations must be submitted within 30 days of travel. For best results, submit your report at your arrival station; otherwise call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
When reporting a lost item, please have the following information ready:
- A thorough description of the lost item, including a description of the size, color, brand, condition, and any other distinguishing features.
- Your date or dates of travel.
- Your departure and arrival stations.
- Your train names and numbers.
Limited Liability for Baggage
Amtrak accepts no liability for the following:
For Carry-On Baggage
Amtrak disclaims all liability for carry-on baggage, including special items, even if Amtrak personnel have handled or assisted in loading or unloading the baggage.
For Checked Baggage
Amtrak disclaims all liability for:
- missing or stolen items inside unlocked or unsecured baggage.
- minor damages to baggage considered normal wear and tear (despite reasonable care when handling).
- baggage that was transported without travel of the owner of the items via Amtrak or payment of the applicable storage charges.
- loss or damage to prohibited baggage items, items packed with prohibited items, and baggage containing prohibited items.
- For any checked baggage handled in Red Cap service, Amtrak’s liability is limited to $50.00 per bag (or bag equivalent) for any loss or damage.
- For any checked baggage stored in Parcel Check service, Amtrak’s liability is limited to $100.00 per bag (or bag equivalent) for any loss or damage. Additional valuation cannot be declared.
- For checked baggage, Amtrak’s liability is limited to a maximum of $500 per ticketed passenger. Passengers may declare additional valuation, up to $2,500, upon payment of the applicable charge.
- For special items, including bicycles, Amtrak disclaims liability for any special items carried onboard or any bicycles accepted in the baggage area not packed within a bicycle box.
Claims for damaged baggage or stolen items must be reported at the location where the baggage is
claimed, before the passenger leaves the station. Claims for lost checked baggage must be submitted within 30 days of the date of the incident to the Office ofCustomer Relations (Attn: Baggage Claims, Amtrak, 60Massachusetts Ave NE, Washington, DC 20002-4285).For more information, call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL(1-800-872-7245) and ask for Customer Relations.